Monday, January 21, 2013

MMmmm Cookie(s)

Wow, It sure has been a while. Sorry for the delay guys, I have been trying to re-acclimate to school after being on break for two weeks and I have constantly been forgetting to take pictures (like my current enchilada recipe...which I have now made two times, both of which I didn't take pictures of anything but the finished product). Anyway I wanted to open up with some baking and show you how to make a delicious giant cookie.

Ingredients:
2 & 1/4 cups Flour
3/4 cup Brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12oz. package) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter

Look at all those ingredients

Prep:
So first step is to whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla extract.

If I could remember to take pictures like this every time i make something that would be awesome!

As you can see this is easier said than done. I highly recommend a stand mixer to do all the work for you. Too bad I don't have one of these :(

This took forever to mix by hand. So thick

After it is all mixed together add the eggs in 1 egg at a time. Then mix the salt, flour, and baking soda together and add them in a little at a time while mixing.


After the flour is all mixed in stir in the chocolate chips. This makes enough cookie dough to fill a 7-cup Tupperware container.

So much cookie dough
Now to make the cookie.

Preheat oven to 375 F. After you finish that put half of the dough into an 8-inch cast iron skillet. press it until it there is a layer reaching the edges of the skillet. Keep in mind the dough will expand while cooking so only fill the skillet up about halfway. Then bake for 18-20 minutes. Be aware that over baking will make the edges harder.  After baking let it rest for 5 minutes and throw some vanilla ice cream on top and go nuts.

Perfect for 2-4 people. 
Hopefully I can get some more posts going soon. I don't want to leave you waiting for 3 weeks for a post again.

Until Next time!

3 comments:

  1. How do you get it to bake evenly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there is no way to assure even baking without cutting off the top, especially since all ovens heat at inexact temperatures and can even heat unevenly. When I cooked this I put it on the top rack with a cookie sheet on the bottom rack. I haven't had it come out unevenly yet. Also, I never took it out of the skillet, I used the skillet as a sort of bowel.


      The First time I made this I took it out a little early and my friend and I each had a piece (probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the cookie total). Then I put it back in and took it out about 10 minutes later. The dough had expanded to fill the pan again.

      Sorry I cant be of more help!

      Delete
  2. Mixing cookie dough by hand isn't too bad if you make sure your butter is COMPLETELY softened and you use a spoon, not a whisk. Wooden spoons are the best for hand mixing dough.

    ReplyDelete