Monday, December 24, 2012

BBQ? Barbecue

When I was home over Thanksgiving I made some delicious BBQ pulled pork for my family and I want to share this recipe with all of you!

Ingredients:
Pork Shoulder (also known as Boston Butt, Pork Shoulder Picnic, etc.)
1/2 Yellow Onion
1/2 tbsp Garlic Salt
Barbecue Sauce
20Oz. Doctor Pepper

Prep
So to start I took my onion and quartered it. I laid down the quarters in the bottom of my crock pot as a bed for the pork shoulder. I want to try this with a whole onion as a bed. I think that would add to the flavor.

Speaking of beds, I am totally taking a nap after I post this. 
I then took my pork and set it on top of the onions. I did use some garlic salt to rub onto the pork. Not a for a whole lot mind you, but a little. I plan on using some ground mustard with the next pulled pork I make for a little more flavor.
$9.09 for 6 lbs of pork. I would say that's a good deal.
So after I placed the pork in the crock pot I poured in the 20oz. of Dr. Pepper and set my crock pot on low for 8 hours.
I know, Marinating the pork isn't the healthiest but it is just too darn convenient. I suppose I could use a diet beverage or spend the time on a dry rub.
So here is where difficulties can arise. The first time I made the pulled pork the crock pot was set on high for 3 hours. After those 3 I noticed it was set wrong and turned it down to low. When I finished cooking the pork the meat fell off the bone. However, the second time I made pulled pork I set it on low for 9 hours. When I tried to get the meat off the bone it was pretty difficult. This was done with very similar weights of pork. So here is my solution. Set on low for 5-6 hours, then set on high for 2-3 hours. If you are gone longer (like at work) then let it cook for 10-11 hours instead of just 8.

So 8-ish hours later...
Ding!
Alright. So the first order of business is take the pork out of the pot and start pulling it (after removing the bone).

To pull the pork I took two forks and just start pulling the meat with them. It is a fairly simple process. This will take more work depending on how well done the pork is.

Then when done drain the crock pot of Dr. Pepper and put the pulled pork back in the pot (be sure to turn the crock pot off).

My bed of onions (the rest of them stuck to the pork when I lifted it out)
Pulled and put back in the pot
 Then add in about half your bottle of barbecue sauce (I prefer brands made with molasses and not high fructose corn syrup). Then I stir up my pulled pork and set to low for 1 hour and then it is time to eat!

om nom nom
Some people like to add the barbecue sauce to their pulled pork when it is on the bun, which is why I only put half a bottle in. This is great and it fed my whole family when I made it at home. When I made it up at school It fed me, two friends, and then I even used the leftovers for enchiladas. All in all a great cost effective meal.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment